Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Carter's THREE!

So we had our hands full celebrating Carter's third birthday this weekend.  I've learned a lot about kids birthday celebrations.  First - I learned about the rule 'take your kids age and add one' - that's how many kids you should invite.  Not the 12 kids (plus all the adults!) I invited...  Second - don't plan your party in the middle of a winter storm warning.  (Unless you don't want the aforementioned 12 kids to actually show up).  We have had no snow for quite awhile and an hour before the party - it started dumping.  We had 6 brave kids show up - which turned out to be perfect.  Carter would not share his pinata hitting with anyone (except Malcolm, who didn't want to do it, and mama and papa).  Otherwise he did well and we had a good time.  All the websites also mention a 90 minute cap to the party.  They really do seem to know what they are talking about.  It was right about 91 minutes that Carter started to have his break down.  But everyone was soon gone and we were able to have an uneventful rest of the evening.  Carter also got his first pair of skis from Oma and Opa and has enjoyed walking around the living room in them.  Unfortunately we couldn't go outside and enjoy the new snow because it was 2 degrees the next morning.  In fact, it didn't get above 20 the next two days, so we've had a little cabin fever.  Then it swung the other way and now there is NO snow because it was 45 and raining this morning!
Isaac and I are enjoying a little quiet time this morning at the local bakery while Carter plays with his friends at Playcare.
 
Here we are with our 'babies' in our slings (Carter is carrying baby pooh in his).  He told me we weren't allowed to smile for the picture, hence the straight faces.... and yes, I am on my knees - Carter isn't that big yet!

5 comments:

Lee3000 said...

Great picture! Car-tare is looking FUNI.

Thanks for the update Cousin Sue! Sorry we missed the party but cf. your comments on snow, snowing and too many kids anyhoo.

Anonymous said...

I thought Carter WAS that tall!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Carter! I haven't visited your bloggyland for a while, so it was nice to take a little drive through. Take care, Whitman Clan.
-Justin

SorensonVT said...

Hi Susan! I am so glad you started "following" our blog...now I know about your blog. The boys are so adorable! You actually made me shed some tears as I read through your thoughts on the craziness (and wonderfulness) that is motherhood. I am new to it all, but it's been an amazing journey so far! I totally relate to that 4 hours, then 2 hours nighttime sleep routine. I am happy to say that William has just started to sleep 8-hour stretches at 4.5 months old. Sometimes longer. Ahhh...Heaven. And he's 100% breastfed too.

It'd be great to get together soon! Say hi to Lars for us.

Erin (and Justin) :-)

Jeremy Edmondson said...

Great picture! Isaac sure is getting big! We have to get up there to see you soon. We just got power back after 5 1/2 days without. Good thing for wood stoves!

Merry Christmas!

You won't be stopping by this Christmas eve I guess? You are always welcome though!